Species and breeds
Create and update the default species and associated breeds to be used in patient setup.
Before you start
- Security access to Breed List, Breed Setup, Species List, Species Setup
- Review the species and breeds already set up to avoid duplicates (Initial Patient Setup Report).
- Once associated with a patient record, species and breeds cannot be deleted.
Setup new species and breeds
- Lists > Species > New
- Enter a Species ID and description.
- Choose Small or Large for species type.
- If needed, choose Herd option to prevent weight, birth date and patient born in alerts from displaying on herd records. Selecting this will also prevent printing of patients’ weights and birth dates on monthly statements.
- To add a breed, select the associated species and click Update.
- In the Breeds section, click Add.
- Enter a Breed ID and description and click OK.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to add additional breeds.
- Click OK to save and return to the Species List.
Updating species and breeds
- Lists > Species > select a species in the list and click Update.
- Make any necessary changes for species.
- For breeds, select the associated species, click Update, and do one of the following:
- Click Add to create a new breed for this species.
- Select a breed and click Update.
- Enter Breed information and click OK.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to add additional breeds.
- Click OK to save and return to the species list.
Delete species and breeds
- List > Species > select a species.
- To delete the species, click Delete.
- To delete a breed, select the associated species and click Update.
- Select the breed in the list and click Update, then Ctrl-D.
- Click Yes or No when prompted to confirm the delete.
- Click OK.
- The provided breed list displays in Breed ID order, with breed descriptions by primary then secondary type.
- For example:
- Retriever, Golden
- Retriever, Labrador
- Terrier, Airedale
- Terrier, Boston
- Shepherd, Australian
- Shepherd, German
Physical Exam feature
- If you use the Physical Exam feature, you can assign a default system template for the species from the System Template drop down list.
Lab Age Group
- Lab Age Groups are used for default test ranges within lab templates. The will display in a patient record when manually entering laboratory results.
- Under each species, click Lab Age Groups.
- Click Add or Update to create or modify an age group description and age range.
- Once ages groups are established, you can set Default test ranges based on species and age ranges.
Access our FAQ article for detailed instructions and answers on Rabies vaccine setup. Whether it’s species-specific, non-species specific, or using a Service/Inventory system, we’ve got you covered. Get started with the Rabies Setup FAQ here.
- Initial Patient Setup Report
- Client and Patient Report Builder
- Client/Patient Master Report
- Patient by Name Report (list of patients by breed)