Payment types and credit codes
Setup and modify payment types and credit codes to be used to determine which payments can be taken from clients.
Before you start
- Security access to Payment Types, Payment Type Setup, Credit Code Setup and Credit Codes dialogs
Setup or modify a payment type
Payment types are used to manage the payments your practice accepts and how information populates deposit, payment register and audit trail reports. For example, any payment type of Check appears on the Deposit Report-Checks. Cornerstone uses Cash, Check and Other as general payment categories in other reports.
- Controls > Payment Types
- Click New or select a payment type and click Update.
- Select or deselect the Active payment type check box.
- In the Information area:
- Description: this field populates the list of available payment types for taking payments and reporting.
- Prompt: this field allows you to define additional information when taking a payment like check number or gift certificate/coupon details.
- If needed, enter a GL Account name.
- Specify the payment Type as Cash, Check or Other.
- The Service charge area calculates the total your practice would owe a payment vendor in service charges. Select one of the following:
- select Percentage and enter the percentage in the Amount field.
- select Amount and enter the flat fee in the Amount field.
- select None If you don’t want to calculate service charges
- If needed, enter a GL Account name.
Note: These service charges are not added to client accounts. They are for GL reporting purposes only.
- Click Ok to save your changes.
- Repeat steps above for additional payment types or click Close.
- Update credit codes with any new or inactivated payments. Note: If this step is skipped, the payment cannot be used.
Integrated credit card processing setup and additional fields
- For detailed information on installing, setting up or modifying the Credit Card/Debit Card, integrated Card or Online Card payment types, contact Cornerstone support.
Once the integrated payment solution is configured, one of these new payment types will be created depending on your practice’s provider:
- Credit Card and Debit Card
- Integrated Card Payment
- Online Card Payment
- If using the General Ledger, choose one of the following:
- to export integrated payment data into a single account, enter an account name In the GL Account field within the Information area.
- to export integrated payment data into separate accounts, select the Breakout GL totals check box, and then type the account name to use for each card type In the GL Account Names area.
- In the Select credit codes area, select one or more Cornerstone credit codes to associate with this payment type. You can also click the Credit Codes header to select all the Credit Codes.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Setup or modify a credit code
Credit codes specify which payment types is accepted per client. For example, a Cash Only credit code could prevent a check from being processed under that client account. Credit codes display on the Patient Clipboard and other financial windows throughout Cornerstone. Credit codes are assigned in the client information window under the A/R Information tab.
- Controls > Credit Codes
- Click New or select an existing code and click Update.
- In the Description field, enter or modify a name for this credit code.
- Select the Alert check box to generate a client alert.
- In the Payment types allowed list, click to highlight and select the payment type(s) allowed under this credit code.
- Click OK to save changes.
- Repeat steps above for additional credit codes or click Close.
- The service charge setting described in this article only reports through the GL Batch Report. It does not appear on any other Cornerstone reports or charge to client accounts.
- With credit/debit card and integrated card payment types, you can add your credit codes in the payment setup window.
- To enable electronic signature capture, please contact IDEXX support to configure your setup.
- If using the receipt print option (EdgeExpress payment vendor only), the payment receipt can be assigned under File > Printer Assignment > General Reports > Integrated Card Payment – Receipt.
- You may select a default credit code to be used when creating new clients by going to Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Client > A/R information area > select from Credit code list.
- Credit Code alerts display in red. Custom color coding is not available.
- Print the Cornerstone Daily Payment Register Report – Sorted by Credit/Debit Payment Transactions to review your daily credit/debit card transactions: payments, refunds, and/or voids.
- This report groups transactions according to payment card type and sorts them in ascending date/time order.
- Payment types determine how payments appear in reports.
- Ex: Check type payments appear in check specific reports such as Deposit Report- Checks.
- Other type payments like Visa, debit card, or Care Credit, will appear per payment type on Daily Payment Register reports and Daily and Monthly deposit reports.
- Daily and Monthly Deposit reports
- Daily Payment Register reports
- Deposit Report – Checks
- Initial Practice Setup Report by Credit Codes
- Client A/R Information report (list of clients with assigned credit code)
- GL Batch Report