Answers to the most common invoicing questions.
Can I void an open (saved) invoice?
- Post the invoice and then perform a void.
- At least one invoice item is required on the invoice, before posting.
- The rest of the items can be removed, if needed.
- To delete items, press Ctrl + D on the invoice line item.
- Security access is required to void invoices.
- Clicking Post on the invoice, Cancel, and then clicking No to save changes, will still create an open invoice.
How do I correct a posted invoice? The wrong staff ID was used.
- Once posted, invoices cannot be edited.
- Void and reenter the invoice with the corrected information. Security access is required to void invoices.
- Voiding is best performed in the same period as the original transaction for optimal reporting. Example: daily reporting period
- Voided transactions display on the daily/monthly reports in which they are performed.
Example: An invoice was posted on a Friday, which was the last business day of the month. The invoice was voided and reentered on the following Monday.
- The voided and reentered invoice wil display on Monday and the current month’s reports.
- The original invoice is included on Friday’s end of day and the prior month’s reports.
How do I change the message appearing at the bottom of our invoices?
Messages can be selected and modified at the time of use, on either the Post Invoice or Print Invoice windows.
To create or edit a message and set it as a default, do the following:
Where do I manage the “blue” messages on an invoice?
These are departing instructions and are typically linked to invoice items and added to the invoice automatically when the associated invoice item is added to the invoice.
How do I add the practice logo to display on invoices?
- Add the image file under Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Practice.
- Include the practice logo under Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Invoice Address. Click the box next to Print practice logo on invoices.
How do I change the practice address that displays on invoices?
- Update practice information under Lists > Practice.
- Make adjustments to the layout of the invoice header under Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Invoice Address.
A client is tax exempt, and despite a client alert, tax is not consistently removed from their invoice.
Update the client and select Tax exempt under the A/R Information tab.
We use revenue centers, and assigned them to doctors in staff defaults. However, the wrong center often displays on invoices and is getting missed. How do I fix this?
Since you are using revenue centers at the staff level, make sure all revenue centers are cleared at the class and item level. Revenue centers are assigned using this methodology:
- Use the Invoice Item Classification Setup report and scan it along the revenue center column.
- Determine if any revenue centers are linked to invoice item classes.
- Update the class(es) accordingly, if any revenue centers are found.
- Check the Invoice Item Setup report, also scanning for any items with a revenue center. Update items as needed.
The special action to mark a patient deceased is often missed when invoicing a euthanasia. I don’t see any other option for the special action other than Optional on invoice.
Select Automatically mark patient as deceased under Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Invoice.
Is there a setting to limit who can add or remove discounts to an invoice?
There are two security dialog settings that control access to the DISC column on the invoice:
- Invoice Discount and Invoice Discount – Apply to all lines.
- For the Discount button on the invoice, the security dialog setting is Invoice Manual Discount.
The settings apply to the logged in user. Users with access to these settings should log off when leaving their workstation (using CTRL + L).
Learn more about discounts.
Can an invoice be preselected to email?
Yes. To set invoices to be emailed, do the following:
- Navigate to Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Invoice defaults.
- Select Email Invoice.
- Set # copies to 0, Print invoice should be deselected by default in the Post Invoice window.