Inventory Setup: Locations
Before you start
- Security access to Inventory – Location List, Inventory – Location Maintenance
- If configured for multi-location inventory (MLI), location group(s) set up, and location types, if using.
- Determine location needs before creating additional ones. It is best to start with one and expand as needed after gaining experience with inventory functions and reports.
- Location IDs cannot be modified once created.
Overview of locations
Locations are used with inventory functions, inventory windows, and reports. Items that are maintaining quantity on hand (QOH) must be assigned to an inventory location and locations are required to receive inventory.
- A location can be a physical location, such as central storage, or a type of inventory, such as controlled substances.
- Cornerstone inventory can be configured for either single location inventory (SLI) or multi-location inventory (MLI).
- With SLI multiple locations can be setup. However, an item can only be assigned to one location.
- With MLI, an item can be assigned to multiple locations, Default location options are also available in staff, workstation and inventory defaults.
- Inventory > Locations
- Click New or select from the list and click Update.
- Enter an ID, up to 7 alphanumerical characters/spaces.
- Enter/modify the description, up to 40 alphanumerical characters/spaces.
- Multi-location inventory users:
- Group: Select the location group. Groups are used for managing locations in different practices. For multiple location single database (MLSD) configured practices, a group can be assigned a practice.
- Supply Location—Select the supply order for the location, if applicable. This is used when performing a stock transfer.
- Type of location: Select a location type, if using.
- Click Save.
- IDs are converted to upper case, even if they are entered as lower case.
- Locations can be deleted if not used.
- Select from list and click Delete, then click Yes to confirm.
- If the location has been used, it can be inactivated after all associated items are moved to another location. Use Tools > Invoice Item Setup Tool > Move tab to move items to a new location.
- Sort the Location List window using available filters and column headers.
- Right click the column header row to adjust column display.
- Columns can be dragged to preferred order with selections retained to logged in user.
- Inventory windows and reports have either or both class and location filters.
- Use inventory locations to spot check key items such as controlled drugs or preventatives that are within a single class of pharmaceuticals. Example: counts report filtered for a specific location.
- When using SLI, locations can supplement your item classification structure by further segmenting and organizing inventory items to improve inventory tasks and reporting.
Multi-location inventory (MLI)
- Locations can only be associated with one location group. Groups can include one or more locations.
- While not required, assigning a location to a group improves using the Purchasing Work List (PWL) for placing orders. This adds an additional filter option of group on the PWL, which makes it easier to order for only one location at a time.
- Reorder points (minimum and maximum stocking levels) can be set by location for inventory items maintaining quantity on hand.
- Supply locations are used to supply other locations with stock transfers.
- The order of these locations (first, second, etc.) are used accordingly when previous supply location(s) do not have the needed item quantity.
- A specific location must be selected when items are consumed, received, transferred, or adjusted.
- Cost of Goods Sold by inventory location, Class, Item
- Inventory Cost report
- Inventory Counts report
- Inventory Expiration Date report
- Inventory Overstock report
- Inventory Items Profit Analysis report
- Inventory Receipt report
- Inventory Reorder report