Inventory setup: Location groups and types
Setup location groups to use with multi-location inventory (MLI) configured practices. They are useful for practices with departments, satellite clinics, and separate facilities for tracking inventory information or orders per group. Groups can also be associated with a practice when configured for Multi-Location Single Database (MLSD). Location types provide an additional way of defining locations.
Before you start
- Security access to Inventory – Location Group List, Inventory – Location Group Maintenance, Inventory – Location Type List, Inventory – Location Type Maintenance dialogs.
- Multi-location inventory (MLI) determined to be appropriate for your practice’s inventory management needs and turned on for your database.
- If Location groups or location types are not visible on your Inventory menu, MLI is not turned on. Please contact support for assistance.
Setup location groups
- Inventory > Location Groups
- Click New or select from the list and click Edit.
- Enter a group description using up to 40 alphanumeric characters/spaces.
- Optional for MLSD configured practices only: Select a practice to associate to the location group.
- Change status to inactive, if needed.
- Click Save.
Setup location types
Note: location types are only used to optionally define a location. There are no other inventory or reporting functions available.
- Inventory > Location Types
- Enter a description of up to 40 alphanumeric characters/spaces. Example: Lock box or closet.
- Click Add.
- To delete a location type: Select the location, click Delete, and click Yes to confirm.
Location groups and types
- MLSD configuration is not required to utilize MLI features. Consider your inventory tracking needs to determine if maintaining an item’s quantity in multiple locations is suitable for your practice.
- Use descriptions to clearly identify the location(s)/practice the group represents. The Want List, Purchasing Worklist and Create/Edit Purchase order windows have a location group field for sorting/filtering by group.
- After location groups and types are set up, assign as needed to inventory locations: Inventory > Locations.
- Location groups can be inactivated by using the Edit function.
- Select Show inactive groups to display all location groups in the list.
- Right click the column header row to adjust column display of the Location Group List window . Columns can be dragged to preferred order with selections retained to logged in user.
- Backorder Report
- Cost Report
- Cost Totals
- Reorder Report
- Usage Tax Report
- Want List