Inventory Management: Want List entry and management
Use the Want List to ‘write down’ needed items. These items display on the Purchasing Work List (PWL), where they can be placed on a purchase order along with Suggested items or manually removed. A Want List report is also available.
Before you start
- Security access to:
- Inventory defaults set for Want List items
- Items setup as inventory type (QOH tracking not required)
- Inventory location(s) and group(s) set up (MLI only)
- Once added to the Want List, entries cannot be modified. To make changes, remove and reenter items on the Purchasing Work List (a link to Want List is on PWL window).
Adding items to the want list
- Toolbar > Want List or Inventory > Want List
- Enter item ID, or search for and select the item from inventory item list.
- Enter quantity needed in either field. The other field will automatically calculate based on the item’s buy/sell ratio.
- Enter a reason for ordering, if necessary.
- Multi-location only: Select location or group from the appropriate drop-down list.
- If item is not in inventory item list, select Not an Inventory Item and enter a description.
- Click OK.
- If item is already on a purchase order or on backorder, a message will display asking if you would like to add it again. Click Yes or No.
- Repeat above steps as needed for additional items or click Cancel to close the window.
Managing the want list
- Inventory > Purchasing Work List
- Select Want Item and click search icon.
- Filter the Purchasing Work List, to narrow the selection of items, using any of the following options:
- Groups (Multi-location inventory only)
- Item Classification
- Status (Not Done, Completed, All)
- Adjust display as needed by clicking column headers to sort in ascending or descending order.
- Select an item row and do any of the following:
- To delete an item: Click Remove from List and click Yes to confirm.
- To view details and history: Review the Item Details area or click More Item Information for [item] at the bottom of the window.
- To add an additional item to the Want List: Click add to Want List.
- To add item to an order, in the Add to Order area, select or modify the vendor, order quantity, group (Multi-location Inventory only) and click Add to Order.
- Entered reasons are attached to the item as a note.
- Suggested use: special order items for a specific client and patient.
- The note is seen on the Purchasing Work List, and stays with item through ordering and receiving.
- Notes print on the Want List report.
- Not an Inventory Item entries cannot be placed on an order.
- Suggested uses:
- miscellaneous supply items not needed on the lnvoice Item list (coffee, paper towels, bath tissue, etc.).
- new item to be set up and then ordered (new medication).
- Entries display on the Purchasing Work List and Want List report.
- Suggested uses:
- Items already added to the Want List have their entry information appear at the bottom of the window. ‘Added by’ is based on logged in user.
- Each Want List entry will create a separate line on the Purchasing Work List.
- Want List items without an indicated quantity added to a purchase order will require a quantity to save or place a purchase order.
- Use SHIFT + click or CTRL+ click to select multiple sequential or non-sequential want list items from the PWL. Then click Add to Order or Remove From List.
- Want List item status is based on your inventory default setting. Items are either:
- Deleted from the Want List, Purchasing Work List windows and Want List report (recommended).
- Changed to Completed status and display in the Want List, PWL windows and on Want List report once placed on an order.
- Any quantity ordered for a want list item will change item status to complete.
- Select a location or a group when adding to the Want List to indicate which location/group is requesting the want item.
- This will:
- Facilitate placing orders by location group.
- Retain requested items and quantities by other locations on the Purchasing Worklist (PWL) until ordered for their group.
- Example: There are a total of five cases of food on the Want List, two requested for East Town’s location and three for West Town.
- East Town orders two cases of food under their location group.
- West Town’s three cases of food remain on the PWL until they are ordered.
- Want List Report
- Backorder Report
- On Order report