Inventory Management: view and adjust inventory
Learn how to check quantity on hand (QOH) and adjust quantity, lot numbers and expiration dates, and average cost using the View Quantity on Hand window and the Adjustment List.
Before you start
- Set security access to:
- Inventory – View Quantity on Hand
- Inventory – Adjustment List
- Inventory – Cost Adjustment maintenance
- Inventory – QOH Adjustment Maintenance
- Inventory History and Item History Information dialogs
- Associated inventory reports
- Setup Adjustment reasons
- Set Inventory defaults for adjustment confirmations
- Set inventory invoice items maintain quantity on hand (QOH)
- Setup inventory location(s) and group(s). Groups are for Multi-location inventory (MLI) only
- Once performed or confirmed, adjustments cannot be edited or voided.
- An adjustment reason is required when changing the quantity, expiration date or lot information
- Use adjustments in cases where returns to vendor, internal stock use and stock transfers (MLI only) do not apply.
- The total cost displayed on view quantity on hand window and the Cost report totals may not match
- Negative quantity on hand and cost only display on View quantity on hand window.
- Items Tracking quantity on hand may not display on the list as expected due to:
- Items that reach 0 QOH are dropped from the list after 14 days, based on end of day closings
- Items newly set to maintain QOH
View Quantity on Hand window
Use the View Quantity on Hand window to view QOH, as well as adjust quantity, expiration dates and lot numbers.
Inventory > View Quantity on Hand
Filter and display items
- Locate inventory item(s) using the location, classification, and Item fields. The Item field searches for either the item ID or description with an embedded ‘search for word’ function.
- Click Advanced search for additional search criteria including inventory groups or types (MLI only), expiration date range, lot numbers and total cost.
- Select Only show items with a negative quantity to exclude viewing items with a positive quantity.
- Sort windows further by:
- Clicking column headers. An arrow marks the sorted column.
- Right-click the column header row to select which columns to display.
- Click on a column heading to drag columns to a the preferred order.
View and adjust items
Select an item and do one of the following:
- Click Edit QOH to adjust the quantity on hand for the selected item.
- Click New QOH Adjust to search for an adjust items not displaying in the View Quantity on Hand window.
- Adjust QOH, expiration date, and/or lot number all in the same window.
- Items maintaining QOH may not display if they were recently set to track quantity or if the quantity has been at zero for more than 14 days.
- Click Edit Lot & Exp to adjust only lot numbers and/or expiration dates on items that are tracking that information.
- Click the Item History tab to review inventory records, such as ordered or received date, quantity and cost
- Click Item Information tab to view information such as buy/sell ratio and pricing details.
- Click Stock Locations tab to check the items stock levels at other locations. This tab is only for practices setup with MLI.
- Changes may not appear immediately in the View QOH window if the Auto confirm adjustments inventory default is not selected.
- Confirm adjustments at Inventory > Adjustment List to finalize item changes to QOH and/or lot number / expiration date.
Adjust QOH for multiple items
- Select multiple items in the View Quantity on Hand window:
- Non-sequential items: Ctrl + click
- Sequential items: Shift + click
- Click Edit QOH.
- Enter quantity change and adjustment reason, then click Next Record.
- Click Previous record to move back thru the list of items.
- View items included in the Adjusting # of # records pane.
- Click Save to commit all changes and return to the View Quantity on Hand window.
Adjustment List window
Use the Adjustment List to:
- View and confirm QOH, lot number/expiration date adjustments.
- Perform single average cost, quantity and lot number/expiration date adjustments.
Inventory > Adjustment List
- Click New QOH Adjust to find and adjust QOH, lot number or expiration date information
- Click New Cost Adjust to find and adjust a QOH item’s average cost.
- Click View to see the adjustment record of the selected row. Cost adjustments will not display.
- Click Print to access the Inventory Adjustment report.
- Click Confirm to finalize an unconfirmed adjustment.
- Click Void to remove an unconfirmed adjustment.
Note: the Adjustment list can be filtered by adjustment status, date range or location (MLI only). Click Advanced search for additional search criteria including inventory groups (MLI only), item search, classification or adjusted by staff.
View Quantity on Hand versus Adjustment List
Use the chart below to determine which tasks can be performed from which window.
|Task||View Quantity on Hand window||Adjustment List|
|Edit existing QOH||X|
|Edit existing QOH for multiple items||X|
|Edit existing lot numbers/expiration dates||X|
|New QOH Adjust||X||X|
|Adjust average Cost on Hand (COH)||X|
|Void Unconfirmed adjustments||X|
|Print the Adjustment Report/view list of adjustments||X|
- Internal Stock Use is recommended in cases of expired products, donations, broken or defective items as associated costs are tracked.
- Sort either window using available filters and column headers.
- Right-click the column header row to adjust column display.
- Columns can be dragged to the preferred order. The selection will be retained for the logged in user.
- Adjustments are tracked to the logged in user on the Inventory Adjustment report
- Lot/Exp date information can only be edited if the item is set to track that information.
- These adjustment types are per item; multi-select is not available.
- To adjust item tracking options:
- Per item: Lists > Invoice Item > Inventory tab
- Bulk changes: Tools > Invoice Item Setup > Set Barcodes/Expdate/Lotnbr tab
- View Quantity on Hand and Adjustment List windows and Inventory Item list have both basic and advanced search functions. Advanced search functions offer additional fields to find specific inventory items.
- The item field on the View Quantity on Hand and Adjustment List (advanced search) windows will search within the specific window for either the item ID or description and includes a ‘search for word’. Ex: searching ‘AD” will return matches with ‘AD’ in description or ID.
- The View Quantity on Hand window completes search upon entry of search criteria.
- The Adjustment List window completes search after entry of search criteria and clicking the Search button.
- Use F2 in an item field or click <icon> to access the Search for Inventory item window’s basic search.
- Only active items will display.
- Perform a keyword search by using a preceding % to your search term. Example: %pea will return results such as Venison and Pea, Venison and Green Pea or Duck and Pea.
- Basic search within Search for Inventory Item window will complete search upon entry of search criteria.
- Click Advanced search for additional fields to find specific items. The search is completed after entry of search criteria and clicking the Search button.
- The search icon can also be accessed from Item History and Stock Locations tabs at bottom of View Quantity on Hand window.
- The past 30 days of adjustments display by default. Adjust the date range as needed.
- Unconfirmed adjustments appear in the window when the Inventory Defaults are not set to auto-confirm adjustments: Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Inventory.
View Quantity on Hand window
- After editing the lot/expiration details, both the new and old entries will display on the View Quantity on Hand window.
- The old old lot/expiration date will have a QOH of 0.
- This and any other 0 qty line will disappear from the list in 14 days. This is based on End of day closing.
- Adjustment Report
- Audit Report
- Inventory Cost Report
- Inventory Counts Report
- Inventory on hand reports