Inventory Management: Manage backorders
Before you start
- Setup Security access to related inventory functions for ordering and receiving inventory, including Inventory – Backorder List and Inventory – Backorder Maintenance dialogs, and access to Backorder report as appropriate for the logged in users’ role.
- Vendors set up
- Only items originating from a purchase order can be marked as backordered.
Add to backorder list
- Navigate to either:
- Inventory > Order List > New Order
- Inventory > Order List > select order > Edit
- Change the status of applicable items to Back Ordered.
- Add or remove items, adjust quantities or make other changes as needed.
- Save or Place order.
- Save the order, if it is not complete, and make changes at a later date.
- Place the order, if complete.
- Navigate to either:
- Inventory > Order List > select order > Receive Order
- Inventory > Receipt List > Receive an Order > Select vendor
- Enter the number for the receipt, to populate the window with ordered items.
- Change the status applicable items to Back Ordered.
- Adjust backordered quantity as needed.
- Save or Post receipt.
- Save the receipt, if it is not complete, and make changes at a later date.
- Post the receipt, if complete. Posting a receipt updates quantity and cost on hand.
View and modify backorders
Manage backordered items from the Backorder List. Enter expected delivery dates and notes, and adjust or cancel backordered quantities.
- Inventory > Backorder List
- Select an item in the list, then click any of the following:
- View Purchase Order: View the original purchase order.
- Edit backorder: Edit quantity, enter expected delivery date and add notes.
- Print Backorders: Create the Backorder report.
- Cancel Backorder: Cancel the entire backordered quantity of the selected item.
- Sort the Backorder List window using available filters and column headers.
- Adjust the column display by right clicking the column header.
- Drag columns to the preferred order. The column settings will be saved for the logged in user.
- Column display settings also apply to the Create, Edit and Receive purchase order windows.
- If editing the backorder quantity, the difference will be marked as canceled.
- Example: There are six of an item on backorder and you edit the backordered quantity to four. Two of the item will be canceled.
- Receiving backordered items will update or remove them from the Backorder List.
- Example: An item has a quantity of three on backorder. Two of them are received. The quantity on the Backorder List updates to one.
- Canceling a backordered quantity will close the associated purchase order, if all other items on the purchase order are received.
- If a backordered item is on the Purchasing Work List, the backordered quantity can be viewed in Item Details.
- Backorder Report
- Evaluation Report