IDEXX in-house diagnostics: Setup preferences and defaults
When your system is installed, default laboratory values are set according to IDEXX best practices. Change the preferences, as needed, to meet your needs.
Before you start
- Set security
- Lab List
- Lab Information
- IDEXX In-house Laboratory module installed
- Settings are disabled if they do not apply to the selected laboratory or if they cannot be changed.
- Do not change default settings without consulting an IDEXX representative.
Navigate to Activities > Lab Work > Laboratories > IDEXX Reference Laboratory (INCLINIC) > Update.
Set the preferences in each area, as needed.
- Use as default lab: Makes the currently selected laboratory the default laboratory when you create an order. Select this option for the laboratory you use most often to run your diagnostic tests.
- Review results before posting: Requires a staff member to review results in the Lab Requests and Results window and manually post each completed result to a patient’s medical record.
Note: We recommended that you do not select this option, but instead allow results to be posted automatically to the patient’s medical record to reduce staff time. Use the Cornerstone laboratory daily checklist to review the Lab Requests and Results window and resolve orphan and not requested results.
- Require sample drawn by info: Select this to require staff to enter initials when creating an order.
- Require requests: Connects lab ordering and charge capture to streamline two-way lab flow and prevent missed charges.
- Use Favorites list: Provides the ability to choose from a list of favorite profiles. See Link Laboratory Profiles and Tests with Invoice Items for more details.
- Use special actions: Provides the ability to enter invoice items on the Patient Visit List or invoice and automatically generate laboratory requests.
- Hide request screen if special action: Reduces clicks when entering multiple lab items on the Patient Visit List. The New Lab request window appears only on the first test entered if the requested staff is not set by default. If you print in-house test labels, these will be printed per test.
- Warn in invoicing if Not Req results exist: Displays an alert at the time of invoicing to warn you when results have been received that were not requested using Cornerstone. Selecting this option helps avoid missed charges.
- Use VetLab Station auto-billing: Captures charges from tests run at the IDEXX VetLab Station that were not requested using Cornerstone. Tip: Captured charges can be viewed using the VetLab Station auto-billing log.
- Print preferences
- Copies for Print full page: Specifies the default number of copies to print of the laboratory order form, each time you make or update a request. You can change the number of copies before printing.
- Print Label, # copies: Specifies the default number of copies to print of the label (prescription size) each time you make a request. You can change the number of copies before printing.
- Print tube label, # copies: Specifies the default number of copies to print of the test tube label each time you make a request. You can change the number of copies before printing. Note: Requires a dedicated printer.
- Click OK.
Setup IDEXX VetLab Station defaults
Navigate to Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > IDEXX Vetlab settings.
- Practice and VetLab station: This default will only be present for Multi-location single database (MLSD) configured practices only.
- To specify a default IDEXX VetLab Station for a practice location, select the practice name from the Practice drop-down list.
- Then select the IDEXX VetLab Station from the VetLab Station box or click Use all. The IVLS can be selected at time of placing the request.
- Workstation and VetLab station:
- To specify a default IDEXX VetLab Station for a workstation select the workstation name from the Workstation drop-down list.
- Then select the IDEXX VetLab Station in the VetLab Station box or click Use all. The IVLS can be selected at time of placing the request.
- Workstation names are displayed on each IDEXX VetLab Station.
- If practice and workstation settings conflict, the workstation settings take precedence.
Click Apply and repeat above as needed for other practice locations and workstations.
When finished, click Apply to save your changes and continue setting other defaults or click OK to save your changes and close the window.
Setup lab defaults
Navigate to Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Labs.
- Use billing staff on a new lab request: If using special actions with lab requests, check this box to indicate that the billing staff on the Patient Visit List or invoice should be used as the default staff ID on the request.
- If this option is not selected, then the default staff ID for special action requests is the ID of the last staff member who performed a lab request on the workstation.
- Staff to use on requests without Special Action: For lab requests not created through a special action, select from the following options:
- No default staff: The person creating a request must select a staff ID for each request.
- Last staff used on workstation: The default staff ID will be the ID of the last staff member who created a request on the workstation.
- Specific staff: Type a default staff ID, or press F2 to search for and select the staff ID.
- This staff ID will be used with all requests not created through a special action.
- The staff ID can be changed at the time the request is made, if needed.
Click Apply to save your changes and continue setting defaults or click OK to save your changes and close the window.