Controlled substance reporting
Controlled substance reporting is available using either an invoice item report or as a designated filing form (Example: ASAP 4.2), that can be sent via email or uploaded via FTP to the appropriate state agency.
Before you start
- Controlled Substance Export
- Controlled Substance Export List
- Controlled Substance Export Setup
- Invoice Item Reports
- For Inventory items to display on controlled substance reports, the following steps must be completed:
- Contact your state’s controlled substance agency to obtain the state’s electronic filing form requirements. In the Export setup, data items must be entered in the order provided on your state’s controlled substance requirements document using the Export Header, Export Data, and Export Footer tabs.
Some states’ controlled substance filing forms have been predefined and can be selected from the Controlled Substance Export List. If your state does not display on this list, you have the option to create a new form or modify an existing electronic filing form that is compatible with your state’s requirements.
- The ASAP 4.2 Format form is already set up to commonly used requirements.
- Important: refer to your state’s requirements for field definitions and entries.
Navigate to: Controls > Controlled Substance > Controlled Substance Export.
Do one of the following:
- Click New to create a new electronic filing form.
- Select an existing electronic filing form and click Update.
- Enter an Export ID and Description in the corresponding fields for new forms.
- There is a maximum of alphanumeric characters maximum for ID, 40 for description). When updating a form, you can modify the description only.
- In the Male and Female flag fields, enter the information as defined by your state agency.
- Enter the appropriate file type to export the file as in the File Extension field (txt or dat are the most common).
- Select the date format specified by your state by clicking in the Date Format field and selecting from the drop-down list.
- Enter a value for Minimum days supply to export field, if required by your state. This information can be set up under prescription defaults.
- Select Export prescribed only if this is required by your state.
Export header, data and footer tabs
Do the following for each row based on your state’s requirement document:
- Click in the field column to access the drop-down list of available data items, based on the selected tab.
- Select the data item to include on the form.
- If the data item is not on the drop-down list, do not skip this item.
- Save space for it, by selecting Filler.
- Select the applicable option In the Justification column.
- Enter the required number of characters for the data item in the Field Length column.
- If Client User Defined Prompt is chosen as the field, select the applicable prompt in the Client Prompt column.
- If Patient User Defined Prompt is chosen as the field, select the applicable prompt In the Patient Prompt column.
- If Filler is the chosen field, enter the appropriate number of characters to use for that filler.
- Repeat for each required field row and each export tab.
- Click OK When all required data fields are entered to return to the export list.
- Click Close.
- To remove an electronic filing form, select the applicable electronic filing form in the export list and click Delete. Click Yes or No to confirm.
Navigate to Controls > Controlled Substance > Controlled Substance Export.
- Select the appropriate electronic filing form and click Export.
- Set the Start date and End date ,based on your state’s reporting requirements.
- Review the default file name and location. Note: It is required to use the CSTONE folder for the controlled substance export. Click Browse to modify the name/location, if needed.
- Click OK.
It is recommended to work with your state agency to test the export by sending/uploading a sample to confirm it is acceptable.
It is recommended to keep a paper record of your practice’s controlled substance information until your state confirms that the electronic filing form that you submit includes all required information.
Controlled substance report
- The Controlled Substance Report can be used to help account for controlled drugs in your practice.
- Some states may consider the Controlled Substance report detail satisfactory for reporting requirements.
- Check with your state agency to verify.
- Linked items that are marked as controlled will display on the Controlled Substance report when the primary item is invoiced.
Example: Oral buprenorphine is linked to your tracking buprenorphine injectable.
- The buprenorphine injectable will be on the Controlled Substance report as the quantity based on the linked amount and the invoiced quantity of the billed oral buprenorphine.
- If 3ml oral is invoiced, 0.3ml injectable will be deducted from inventory and display on the report.
- Changes to item settings will update the controlled substance report, including past dates. Example: Adding or removing controlled substance indication on invoice items.
- The report and the export use the line item/prescription date of the controlled item, which may not match the invoice posting date.
- The controlled substance report includes any billed or linked item marked as controlled.
- Dispensing is included, but not required.
Controlled substance export
- Changes made to invoice item settings or export settings are not retroactive, and only apply from the point of change forward.
Example: An item with dispensing history is marked as controlled today. It will only display on export output, when it is dispensed from today forward.
- Report and export use the line item/prescription date of the controlled item, which may not match the invoice posting date.
- The controlled substance export can be set to only include prescribed items.
- Dispensing is included, but not required.
These Cornerstone reports provide information from the actions outlined in this article. Each report has its own security access under the Reports tab of the Security Setup window.
- Controlled Substance report
- Invoice Item Sales Information report
- Invoice Item Information report: this report indicates which items are marked as controlled.