Client account management: Voiding invoices
Void an invoice to reverse billing items in patient history and reporting.
Before you start
- Security access to Invoice Void dialog
- Cashier IDs setup, if applicable
Voiding an invoice does not:
- Reverse satisfied reminders or special actions of sex modification or marking a patient as deceased.
- Void prescription labels or rabies/vaccine tags.
- Delete pending lab or imaging requests.
This information will need to be updated manually.
When to void an invoice
Voiding an invoice should be done in the following instances:
- The wrong staff ID or revenue center used on invoice.
- The wrong patient or client was invoiced.
- Sales tax was charged on a tax exempt client.
Voiding an invoice
- Navigate to the client account history through either:
- Toolbar > Client Account
- Patient Clipboard > Account Information tab
- Double-click the closed invoice.
- Click the Void button.
- Select Check to confirm the void to confirm that you are voiding this invoice.
- Modify Print invoice and Copies selections as needed.
- Use the Comments field to provide additional information about why the void is occuring.
- Click OK
- Click Yes or No to also void any associated payment information.
Note: Clicking Yes will prompt you to enter your cashier password, if using. Click OK to complete the void.
- Reenter correct invoice information, if applicable.
Voided invoices and payment can be hidden from the client account by selecting Hide Voided items on the Patient Clipboard.
- The voided invoice transaction is displayed with the logged in user ID.
- The quantity on hand will be updated on inventory items that were on a voided invoice.
- If the invoice is voided, but the attached payments are not, they will remain on account and cannot be voided.
- In cases where only a few items on the invoice require correction:
- Create a new invoice
- Enter the incorrect items using negative quantities and the staff and revenue center from the incorrect entry.
- Reenter items with correct information.
- Invoice total should be zero unless changing prices, taxes, or discounts.
- Click Post.
- For Multi-location single database (MLSD) configured practices, you must be logged into the practice that posted the original transaction to perform a void.
A/R by provider
This section will be applicable to your practice if you have the A/R by Provider default turned on in Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Invoice.
- You may have to enter the percentage(s) for the applicable staff ID(s) to apply the A/R when voiding an invoice with payments.
- If the defaults is set to apply payments to specific invoices, voiding an invoice without voiding the associated payments will apply payment to oldest balance.
- To have a payment apply to a corrected invoice, void both invoice and payments and reenter corrected invoice with new payment information.
- It is best practice to perform a void in the same daily period as the original transaction for ideal reporting.
- Voided invoices are reflected as negative transactions in the daily period reports for date they were performed.
- Daily Voided Invoices Report
- Monthly Voided Invoices Report
- Itemized Audit Trail
- Voided Invoices Report
- Client Account History