Client account management: Returns and refunds
Instructions and tips on returning and refunding a client account.
Before you start
- Have the original invoice available to ensure the correct items, staff ID, and revenue center are used for the return.
- Refunding a lab test or imaging service may prompt for the associated request window. Cancel the request window, remembering to change the quantity to the appropriate negative quantity.
- If most or all of a posted invoice needs to be ‘returned’, you can void the invoice . Security permission is required to void invoices.
Return and refund examples
- A patient is not eating a prescribed diet.
- The client changed their mind on a histopathology test.
- The patient was billed for a service that was not received or was overcharged, such as a bath or miscounted nights of boarding.
- Correcting individual items invoiced under the incorrect staff or revenue center
How to return and refund items
- Create a new invoice, selecting the appropriate Invoice type, if using. Verify or change the receptionist Staff ID to accurately reflect who is processing the invoice.
- Enter the Invoice Item ID of each returned item using a negative quantity. Use the same staff ID and Revenue Center as the original transaction for accurate staff revenue reporting.
- The price that appears is based on the item’s current price. Modify if needed.
- If the item is set up with a dispensing fee, a message appears asking whether you want to include the dispensing fee. Click Yes or No.
- Verify invoice total is correct. Apply or remove sales tax, discounts as needed.
- Click Post.
- On the Post Invoice window, do one of the following:
- Credit the client account: Uncheck Apply payments and click OK.
- Issue a refund: Leave the Apply payments checked and click OK to proceed to the payment window.
- Enter your cashier password, if using and press the Tab key.
- In the amount field, right-click and select Invoice balance. If entering the amount manually, use a the negative ( – ) symbol in front of the payment amount.
- Select the payment type.
- If using an integrated card payment type, the Return window appears. Based on the vendor, select Credit or Debit for the transaction.
- Complete all required fields and process the transaction.
- Verify New Payments, Cash refund, and Balance after payments amounts are correct.
- Click Post.
- After posting the return invoice, check the patient’s reminders and make any necessary corrections.
- Returning a prescribed item does not void the prescription label, but does return quantity back to inventory.
- Check for and delete pending lab or imaging requests, if refunding an associated lab test or radiograph.
- Deleting a request in Cornerstone also cancels the test at the laboratory if the sample has not been scanned.
- If the sample has been scanned at the laboratory, you will be notified to call the laboratory to cancel the request.
- Depending on payment processor, you may need to enable Allow Forced Credit in order for you to enter a negative amount. If you are unable to enter a negative number in the Amount field, contact Cornerstone software support to enable this setting.
- The Order ID is displayed in the payment window and can be used to locate the transaction in your payment processor’s portal.
- Daily Deposit Report
- Itemized Audit Trail