Client account management: Returned checks
Returning a previously posted check will add the check amount and service charge to the client’s accounts receivable balance and add a client alert, if applicable.
Before you start
- A returned check transaction cannot be voided. If an error is made, perform another returned check using negative check and service charge amounts to correct returned check reports and the client balance.
Entering a returned check
- Navigate to either:
- Client Account window > Rtn Chk
- Patient Clipboard > Account Information tab > right-click > Returned Check
- Enter your cashier password, if applicable, and press the tab key.
- Select or enter the Check #.
- Verify or modify the Amount.
- Verify or modify the Service charge.
- Uncheck Valid Returned Check if you do not want the Returned Check alert to display on the client’s record.
- Click OK.
After performing a returned check, you can enter an account comment to document any client communication regarding the check payment. Comments appear on the Client Account History report.
- Click Comment or right click > Comment.
- Enter any notes and your initials.
- Click OK.
Comments cannot be edited or voided. Comments can be filtered from the client account report.
- The check number comes from the answer entry on the original check payment. This requires a prompt setup on your check payment type under Controls > Payment Types.
- The transaction will be applied to the date it was performed, regardless of if a different date is selected in the Returned Check window. The service charge and check amount due are applied as a current balance on the client’s account.
- Returned checks can be tracked using the Returned Check and Itemized Audit Trail reports. They do not appear on deposit or payment register reports.
- If using A/R by provider, you may have to enter the percentage(s) for the applicable staff ID(s) to apply the new A/R when returning a check.
- Daily Audit Trail Report
- Itemized Audit Trail
- Returned Check reports
- Accounts Receivable reports
- Client Account History