Use the census list to view and check in scheduled appointments, view patients currently checked in to your practice, and manually check out patients.
Before you start
Viewing the Census List
Navigate using either:
- Press F3 on the keyboard.
- List > Census
Filter and Sort
- Select which patients will display by selecting from the View drop-down list:
- Patients in Hospital: All patients currently checked-in with a status of Inpatient or Outpatient.
- Outpatients: Only patients currently checked-in with a status of Outpatient.
- Scheduled Appointments: Patients who are scheduled for appointments using the Cornerstone Appointment Scheduler. If there are no scheduled appointments for the day, a message will display. Click OK and choose a different view on the Census List.
- Boarding & Grooming: If using the Boarding and Grooming module, view all patients currently checked into boarding.
- Filter the selected view using any or all of the following. Note: These filters are based on Appointment Scheduler setup and do not apply to the Boarding & Grooming view.
- Use the Sort By drop-down list, to sort information by Client Name, Date/Time, Room, Staff or Visit Type (Reason for Visit).
- Use the scroll bar at the bottom to view additional information.
Select a patient and perform a task using the buttons on the right-hand side of the window.
- Check-in: Check patients in (Scheduled Appointments view only) when the arrive. This opens the Patient Check-in/Out window.
- Update: Update the check-in details for Outpatients, Patients in Hospital and reservation details for patients checked into Boarding & Grooming.
- The Patient Check-in/out window displays for patients listed as Outpatient and Patients in Hospital. Update the information and click Update or click Check-out to manually check out the patient.
- The Reservation information window displays for the patient listed as Boarding and Grooming. Update the reservation and click OK or click Check-out.
- Check-out: Use to manually check out Outpatient and Patients in Hospital and remove them from the Census List. Click Yes or No to confirm.
- Select: Use to open and populate a blank window behind the Census List with the client/patient information of the selected row. Applicable windows include: Patient Clipboard, Estimate, Patient Visit List, Invoice, Prescription label. Note: if the button is disabled, an applicable window is not open in background.
- Example: A blank Patient Clipboard is open. Click F3 and select a client/patient. The Patient Clipboard will open and populate with the selected client and patient.
- Close: Close the Census List.
Use Refresh to ensure the Census List has the most up to date information.
- The suite that is selected by default is based on the logged in user’s staff default settings.
- If no suite designated at the staff level, the practice and workstation default is used.
- If no defaults set, the Default Suite will be preselected in the Census List Suite drop-down.
- Example of how suites are used: A suite is setup for grooming that displays only the grooming rooms. This allows the groomers to see only the grooming appointments on the Appointment Scheduler.
Census viewing details
- The census list displays patient numbers for a quick assessment of the practice’s current day:
- Checked-in today
- Checked out today
- Scheduled appointments
- Number of inpatients, outpatients and total patients currently checked in (excludes boarding and grooming patients).
- Use the Patients in Hospital View to:
- display both inpatients and outpatients, and see if charges or orders are pending. The whiteboard icon will display in green if orders and treatments up to date, red if treatments are overdue.
- see patient hospital and whiteboard orders statuses, including critical status.
- The selected view is retained when closing and reopening the Census List.
- A Practice filter is also available for multi-location single database (MLSD) configured practices. The logged in practice is selected by default. An All Practices option is also available.
- The Daily Planner Checked-in tab also displays a list of checked in patients (outpatient and inpatient) that includes patient hospital status.
- Check-In Report
- Census Report
- Checked-In Census Report