Protect yourself by logging out of Cornerstone when you are not at the computer. This requires the next person to log in with their own credentials.
Before you start
- Set security access to the following, as appropriate, for the logged in user’s role: Change Password
- Setup: Auto-lock/Logoff options for workstations
- An active staff member with a password is required to log in.
- Use care when changing users. The database records which user is logged on when it saves information.
- Cornerstone uses whoever is logged in to determine security access to dialog boxes and reports. If the “Access denied” message displays while you are using Cornerstone, you do not have security access to the dialog box or report you were trying to access
Use any of these methods to log out:
- Ctrl + L. Save or discard changes to any in progress windows, if prompted.
- File > Password Entry (same as Ctrl + L)
- File > Log Out User. Click Yes when prompted to confirm.
- File > Password Entry (same as Ctrl + L).
- Enter your user ID or select your name from the user list and press Tab.
- Enter your password.
- Click OK or press Enter.
Note: Select Remember User to keep your name in the user field on this workstation, if appropriate, so you can use password-only login.
With security access, you can change your own password. A current password is required. If you forgot your password, a system administrator must enter a new password for you under Security Setup.
- File menu > Change Password.
- Enter the password currently being used for the logged-in staff ID.
- Enter the new password. Note: Maximum password length is 30 characters.
- Retype the new password to confirm accuracy.
- Click OK.
- Using Ctrl + L will close all open windows and leave Log in window up for next user. You may be prompted to save or discard changes to any windows you were working on. Example: Patient document
- Use Ctrl + L to bring up the log in window if not displayed on screen.
- When logged in, your name and the logged in practice name displays in the lower right corner of the Cornerstone application window.
- if using Remember User, you can press Shift + Tab to move cursor to staff ID entry instead of clicking with mouse.
- Based on practice password defaults, your password may:
- Require a minimum length of 3 characters and use of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Limit reuse of prior passwords.
- Require a minimum and/or maximum password age.
- Based on your practice’s default settings, workstations may auto-lock or log off, based on inactivity. When the Auto-Lock/Logoff feature is active, you can track activity using the log file under File > Auto-Logoff Log.
- The Log In window will display the following message when using Auto-Logoff:
These Cornerstone reports provide information from the actions outlined in this article. Each report has its own security access under the Reports tab of the Security Setup window.
- Security report: File > Security Setup > Select user > Administrator password entry > Print.