Appointment Scheduler FAQs
The most frequently asked questions about setting up and using the Appointment Scheduler
How do I change the color used for appointments?
Update the color used for the Reason for Visit under Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Reason for Visit.
Where do I update the Reserved for background colors on the Appointment Scheduler?
The colors seen in the background of the Scheduler come from both the Reason for Visit color and scheduling templates.
- To update the color used, go to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Reason for Visit.
- To modify the scheduling template, go to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Template Designs.
- To modify which template displays by default (based on the day of the week), go to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Practice Setup > Templates.
How do we change the documents that generate at check-in and/or check-out?
Documents are attached to the reason for visit being used at time of check in.
Go to Controls > Reason for Visit > select affected Primary reason for visit > Update. Add or remove Patient check-in/out documents.
Where do I go to change or remove the alert coming up when scheduling an appointment?
Alerts that display when scheduling and checking in appointments are associated with the reason for visit being used to schedule/check in the patient.
To update the alert, go to Controls > Reason for Visit > select affected Primary reason for visit > Update. Modify the Alert note.
Why do “staff does not normally work at this time” alerts keep popping up when trying to schedule an appointment?
The Staff ID used to schedule the appointment may not have been set up completely in the Appointment Scheduler. Go to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Staff Setup.
Check and update both Hours and Goals to include the hours and rooms in which appointments can be scheduled for the staff member.
Refer to the article on setting up staff hours and rooms for complete details.
How do I change what rooms display when opening the Appointment Scheduler?
Suites determine what rooms display, their order and how many display within a single window. Suites can also be assigned to staff or set in practice defaults. If both staff and practice defaults are in place, staff settings are used.
- To modify which rooms display, including the order and number of columns on grid display in the window, go to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Suite Setup > select suite > Update.
- To set a suite to display by default for the entire practice: Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation> Appointment Scheduler. Select an Appointment suite from the drop-down list.
- To set a suite to display by default for logged in staff: Controls > Defaults > Staff > Miscellaneous Tab. Select an Appointment suite from the drop-down list. For example: A groomer only wants to see the grooming appointments, so their Staff ID is set to default to the Grooming suite.
We have a scheduling room we no longer use. How do we delete it?
Removing a room previously used on the Appointment Scheduler is a multi-step process. Support assistance is required in this case as additional database changes are needed. The essential steps include:
- Print appointment report for the room to use for rekeying of any future appointments.
- Remove the staff goals and scheduling templates for the room.
- Confirm no patients are currently checked in under the room.
- Purge appointments from the room.
- Clear the room ID from database. Support assistance is required for this step.
- Delete the room from Room List.
- Rekey any future appointments from the report into current rooms(s).
Why can’t the Staff ID on an appointment be changed? The field is greyed out.
The room has been set to restrict use for the specific staff ID only. To adjust this setting:
- Lists > Rooms.
- Select from the list, click Update.
- Clear the Restrict room use to staff member field.
Can I just rename a room used for a former doctor for our new doctor?
This depends on the room name.
If your room names are generic (Ex: Room 1, Room 2, Surgery):
- Reuse should not be an issue.
- Remember to add the new doctor to the Staff Settings for Hours and Goals to avoid the ‘staff does not normally work at this time alert. Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Staff Setup
If your room names are staff specific (Ex: doctor names):
- If your room names are staff specific (Ex: room names = doctor names), it may be best to create a new room.
- This will prevent overlap with any previous appointment reporting details and patient census history between the former and new doctors.
Our practice hours changed. Where do I find the setting to change them?
- Modify the practice hours: Controls > Defaults > Practice and Workstation > Appointment Scheduler > Hours – Appointment Scheduler
- Modify staff hours: Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Staff Setup > Hours
- If using scheduling templates, review and update accordingly by going to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Template Designs.
Note: Run the Practice and Staff Hours report (under the Appointment report group) to see which staff hours need to be adjusted with the updated practice hours.
How do I book a client appointment for 2 or more of their pets?
It is recommended that each patient is scheduled and checked in individually to ensure accurate patient records, such as appointment and check-in histories.
How do I double-book an appointment in a room?
Only one appointment per time slot is permitted per room. Setup corresponding room(s) to accommodate double-booked or staggered/overlapping appointments. Ex: Create a room for Dr. Smith and another room for Dr. Smith overbooks.
A reason for visit is set to one time unit and we always need to change it. Can I change this?
Review your reason for visit defaults where you can set specific reasons to be a predetermined length, in time units by going to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Reason for Visit > select a reason for visit > Update and modify Number of units.
Why do I sometimes see an alert after scheduling an appointment the staff is booked for another appointment?
Appointments for the staff ID have Staff time slots selected and warn when the same staff ID is booked for the same time in different rooms. Scheduled, double and overbooked time slots are indicated in the far-right schedule status column, Black = scheduled, yellow = double booked, red = 3 or more:
Staff Time selections can be made per appointment or set up per reason for visit by going to Controls > Appointment Scheduler > Reason for Visit > select a reason for visit > Update and modify Dr/Asst Time checkboxes.
How do I change time increments on the appointment scheduler?
Switching the time unit used on the Appointment scheduler is a multi-step process and should be carefully considered before proceeding. The essential steps include:
- Print appointment report to use for rekeying of future appointments.
- Remove staff and template settings. This includes reactivating former staff to clear previous staff hours and goals.
- Purge appointments.
- Reset time unit in practice defaults.
- Revise time units assigned to Reason for Visit.
- Reset staff goals and scheduling templates.
Refer to the article on changing time increments for detailed steps.